– Infertility is defined as he inability to conceive after one year of unprotected intercourse or the inability to carry a pregnancy to live birth.
– 7.4 million women, or 11.9% of women, have ever received any infertility services in their lifetime.
– 1 in 8 couples (or 12% or married women) have trouble getting pregnant or sustaining a pregnancy.
– Approximately one-third of infertility is attributed to the female partner, one-third attributed to the male partner and one-third is caused by a combination of problems in both partners or, is unexplained.
– A couple ages 29-33 with a normal functioning reproductive system has only a 20-25% chance of conceiving in any given month. After six months of trying, 60% of couples will conceive without medical assistance.
– Approximately 44% of women with infertility have sought medical assistance. Of those who seek medical intervention, approximately 65% give birth.
– Approximately 85-90% of infertility cases are treated with drug therapy or surgical procedures. Fewer than 3% need advanced reproductive technologies like in vitro fertilization (IVF).
– The most recently available statistics indicate the live birth rate per fresh non-donor embryo transfer is 47.1% if the woman is under 35 years of age, and 37.9% if the woman is age 35-27.
– 1 in 7 marriages are between spouses of different ethnicities. And multiracial children have increased 50% in the past decade.
– Because your weight, health and lifestyle can all affect your fertility, it is important to make sure you are eating well, managing your weight, and exercising.
– If you are over the age of 35, the time of trying to conceive is reduced to 6 months.
– Not every woman has a 28 day cycle. Understanding how your cycle works will help you determine you most fertile days.
– Although a man’s reproductive system is not driven by hormones like the woman’s, it is far more complicated then one might suspect.
– Every sperm cycle last 90 days
– Approximately 30% of female infertility problems are the result of ovulation disorders.
– Premature ovarian failure is defined by the cessation of menstrual periods before the age of 40, and occurs in 1 in 1,000 women between the ages of 15 and 29, and 1 in 100 women between the ages of 30 and 39. The average age onset is 27 years.
– One in five couples will experience unexplained infertility.
– You are more likely to get pregnant if you have sex in five days or so before you ovulate.
– Tight shorts, cycling, heat are nor good for the sperm
– A Harvard study concluded that 55% of women who participated in mind and body programs got pregnant, compared to 20% who did not practice.
– Couples in their 30s having unprotected sex only have a 15% chance of conceiving each month.
– Research has found that men produce stronger sperm after they view heterosexual porn.
– Full-fat dairy decreases the risk of infertility, while low-fat products do not have those helpful high levels of estrogen and progesterone hormones.
– Obesity can affect ovulation
– Over 1 million women go to a fertility website to get advice daily.
– The use of laptops can impair sperm production.
– Oysters have a lot of concentration of Zinc, one of nature’s most fertile minerals.
Data taken from The National Infertility Association, The Bump Baby App, and the British Fertility Association.